Subject: Workshop on technology of the medieval book

Workshop on technology of the medieval book

From: Jack C. Thompson <tcl<-a>
Date: Tuesday, January 21, 1997
    **** Moderator's comments:   This is an abbreviated
    announcement. More info is available on the News page in CoOL:
        http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/news/

Technology of the Medieval Book X
July 14-18 1997
and July 21-25, 1997
To be held near Santa, Idaho
Tuition: $900.00 ($550.00 for either week), including room and
board, payable by June 1.

Our purpose in presenting these seminars on the technology of the
medieval book is to provide the participants with an opportunity to
experience and understand elements of those technologies which have
been central to the production and dissemination of knowledge in
Western culture.

The seminar will be conducted on property owned by Jim & Melody
Croft, craftspeople dedicated, as I am, to preserving traditional
handcrafts.  Santa is located in the mountains of northern Idaho,
less than two hour's drive S.E. from Spokane, Washington.

Since much of the material must be prepared well in advance, I would
like to know as soon as possible how many people plan to
participate.

Week One: Fiber Preparation through Papermaking & Sizing
Week Two: Bookbinding with Oak Boards and Fore Edge Clasps

For additional information, or to register for the workshop contact:

    Jack C. Thompson
    Thompson Conservation Laboratory
    7549 N. Fenwick * Portland, OR  97217
    503-735-3942 (voice/fax)
    tcl<-a t->teleport< . >com
    http://www.teleport.com/~tcl/

Check out the web page for reviews of the workshop.

Jack C. Thompson
Thompson Conservation Lab.

                Distributed: Wednesday, January 22, 1997