Subject: ALCTS/PARS Preservation Education and Outreach Discussion Group

ALCTS/PARS Preservation Education and Outreach Discussion Group

From: Margit Smith <mjps<-a>
Date: Friday, January 17, 1997
ALCTS/PARS Preservation Education and Outreach Discussion Group
Midwinter Meeting in Washington D.C.
Renaissance Washington Hotel
Room 6
Saturday, February 15, 1997
2-4pm

The topic under discussion will be the usefulness of the Discussion
Group to smaller libraries who do not necessarily have the staff,
nor resources, for full-fledged preservation units on site.  We will
ask some of these questions:

    1.  Should the Discussion Group plan to construct a list of
        electronic resources such as homepages with book repair
        instructions, disaster preparedness information and
        available consultants? This would be a very narrow list, and
        would in no way attempt to compete with CoOL.

    2.  How do we reach libraries that are not on the internet?

    3.  Would large institutions who deal with preservation matters
        routinely be willing to act as resource points?

    4.  What can we do to be most useful to the libraries that need
        us most?

    5.  Do we wish to take the Discussion Group into a totally
        different direction?

A short survey will be passed out asking attendees to identify their
most pressing preservation information needs, and use the results as
a springboard to plan the Annual Conference Meeting in San
Francisco.

We hope many of you will attend and contribute your ideas. If you
have any questions, please contact me.

This meeting will be co-chaired by Mr. Peter Verheyen, who can be
reached at: pdverhey<-a t->mailbox< . >syr< . >edu.

Margit J. Smith, Asst. Prof.
Chair of Discussion Group
Head of Cataloging
Copley Library, University of San Diego