Subject: Waterlogged wood

Waterlogged wood

From: Nancy Skeen <nancy_skeen<-a>
Date: Thursday, January 16, 1997
I have been advising local homeowners whose homes were flooded by
the San Joaquin River during the recent storms. Recently, I was
asked for advise about salvaging wood products, furniture etc., but
I don't know anything about waterlogged wood. For example, one
homeowner ask about a roll top desk; he said he had documents inside
the drawers that he wants to retrieve and he also wants to preserve
his desk. He tried to open a drawer but the wood is so wet the
handle and front board broke off in his hand. I checked the CoOl
database, and retrieved some information, however, I am hoping for
more explicit instructions for people who do not have access to
laboratory conditions. One more thing, these materials were
completely submerged for about 3-4 days and I don't have the tools
to measure the water content.

Nancy Skeen

                 Distributed: Friday, January 17, 1997