Subject: Volara

Volara

From: Glen Ruzicka <gruzicka<-a>
Date: Monday, January 13, 1997
Maria Fredericks <mfredericks<-a t->huntington< . >org> writes

> I recently saw a note in the Benchmark catalog that they have
> stopped supplying Volara foam because "it didn't pass our Oddy
> tests".  I had always thought of Volara as a "safe" foam for storage
> of artifacts, and have used it for padding the interiors of rare
> book boxes.

We noticed this too at CCAHA.  Mary Schobert called Benchmark and
received a copy of the test results.  Benchmark's Volara foam has a
self-adhesive applied to one side.  The adhesive was reason for the
test failure.  Volara foam will pass, we are told.  I believe the
foam without adhesive can be purchased from University Products,
and, I'm sure, elsewhere.

                Distributed: Wednesday, January 15, 1997