Subject: Volara

Volara

From: Maria Fredericks <mfredericks<-a>
Date: Friday, January 10, 1997
I recently saw a note in the Benchmark catalog that they have
stopped supplying Volara foam because "it didn't pass our Oddy
tests".  I had always thought of Volara as a "safe" foam for storage
of artifacts, and have used it for padding the interiors of rare
book boxes.  I have found references to its use in conservation in
the fairly recent past -- Have I missed something?  If anybody can
confirm or deny that Volara should not be used for conservation
enclosures, please reply to the list.  I am in the process of
planning a boxing program for a thousand or more 15th-century
bindings, and if Volara is out, I'd like to know!  Thanks for your
help.

                 Distributed: Friday, January 10, 1997