Subject: Private practice

Private practice

From: Craig Deller <craig1708<-a>
Date: Wednesday, January 8, 1997
Sandy Wassenmiller <sandwass<-a t->flash< . >net> writes

>I would like to know if book and paper conservators working in
>private practice carry insurance for objects they work on.
>Is insurance a concern with
>conservators generally?

Our practice is primarily the decorative arts, and we do carry some
liability, but we make sure that the client understands that the
burden of insurance is the client's. Plus, we include in the
contract a provision that with very severely damaged objects, any
risk of damage to the object, because of its chemical makeup or
inherent vice, is the client's.  Insurance is a *big* concern with
no easy answers. CIPP has done and is doing a fair amount of
research into this.  The main thing is to make sure the client is
aware of *all* risks up-front.  I do not believe there are insurance
companies that will write a policy to cover any screw-ups on the
part of the conservator. Also,  a contract is no guarantee that a
client can not sue you. This a very large subject and I trust it
will generate a good discussion.

Craig Deller
The Deller Conservation Group, Ltd
Geneva, Illinois