Subject: Velcro in display cases

Velcro in display cases

From: George R. Leake III <taliesin<-a>
Date: Thursday, January 9, 1997
Shirley Ellis <texlab<-a t->gpu< . >srv< . >ualberta< . >ca> writes

>Was the Velcro that you tested the type with the adhesive backing?
>Was it "Velcro" brand or a no-name variety?  I have heard remarks
>about a no-name variety that yellows over time.  I was wondering if
>anyone else has experienced this.

I haven't seen too much difference between Velcro brands. We use
both non-adhesive and adhesive-backed Velcro, the latter for
exhibitions on temporary (no more than 6 months) display. In fact,
many times the velcro needs reinforcement--these adhesives just
aren't too strong. Definitely, the long-term holding power (not to
mention "yellowing") of this adhesive is quite suspect. If you're
using this material long enough for it to yellow, either you have
poor environmental integrity or are relying on the sticky-backed
Velcro too long. Also, keep in mind that if you use adhesive backed
velcro to support items exhibited, displays should be designed in
such a way so that actual collection items cannot get stuck to the
adhesive on the back of these Velcro strips.

George Leake
Harry Ransom Humanities Research Center
Conservation Dept
UT Austin