Subject: Velcro in display cases

Velcro in display cases

From: Shirley Ellis <texlab<-a>
Date: Sunday, January 5, 1997
Laura Reutter <lreutter<-a t->aol< . >com> writes

> Our conservation laboratory has tested Velcro hook and loop
> materials using metal coupons. After exposure to heat and humidity,
> the coupons show some tarnishing which suggests that Velcro is not
> suitable for use in display cases.

Was the Velcro that you tested the type with the adhesive backing?
Was it "Velcro" brand or a no-name variety?  I have heard remarks
about a no-name variety that yellows over time.  I was wondering if
anyone else has experienced this.

Shirley Ellis
Textile Conservation Service
Dept. of Human Ecology, University of Alberta
Edmonton, Alberta

                 Distributed: Tuesday, January 7, 1997