Subject: Pest control

Pest control

From: Jerry Shiner <70252.763<-a>
Date: Tuesday, December 31, 1996
Michael Trinkley writes about the cost effectiveness of anoxic
treatments for insect infestations:

>The next suggestion
>from the museum field would be non-toxic gas fumigation (i.e.,
>nitrogen). This is a great technique, but I doubt that it would be
>appropriate (i.e., cost effective) for a collector (unless, of
>course, there was an institution or a pest control company in the
>area which was using the technique already--even this, however, is
>not something you can do in your backyard).

Anoxic fumigation is neither expensive nor difficult.  Barrier films
and ready-made bags are available at reasonable cost, as are packets
of oxygen scavenging chemicals. The procedure is safe, simple, and
can be done anywhere, even in a back-yard.  Our web site
(http://www.interlog.com/~keepsafe) has more information.

Jerry Shiner
Keepsafe Systems

                  Distributed: Friday, January 3, 1997