Subject: Velcro in display cases

Velcro in display cases

From: Laura Reutter <lreutter<-a>
Date: Wednesday, January 1, 1997
Patricia L. Miller <plmxiha<-a t->prairienet< . >org> writes

>I have had a question about using Velcro to line display cases. Would
>the material or the adhesive present a hazard to collection objects?

Our conservation laboratory has tested Velcro hook and loop
materials using metal coupons. After exposure to heat and humidity,
the coupons show some tarnishing which suggests that Velcro is not
suitable for use in display cases.

Our textile conservator does use it in small amounts for short term
mounting of textiles, but not in cases. However, I would not
recommend any long-term exposure to art works, especially metals.
You might try a product called Ultrasuede (synthetic suede) or
washed, unbleached cotton fabrics to line your cases.

Laura Reutter
Associate Conservator of Objects
Indianapolis Museum of Art

                  Distributed: Friday, January 3, 1997