Subject: Protest of ALA meeting in Denver

Protest of ALA meeting in Denver

From: Mary L. Larsgaard <mary>
Date: Monday, December 14, 1992
Let's do our research, folks. Persons most likely to be hurt by a low
attendance at ALA Midwinter are: 1. employees of hotels and restaurants
in the downtown-Denver area; 2. librarians from the Front Range who
seldom or never get to attend an ALA or who do attend as their finances
permit, but much appreciate the chance to attend one inexpensively.
>From what I've read, it is a DENVER law/ordinance - expressly to
prohibit discrimination because of such matters as sexual preference -
that the state law supersedes.  Also - if we refused to go to meetings
in states where laws we didn't like had been passed, we'd probably never
be able to meet *anywhere*.  I don't see that not having ALAs in Chicago
got ERA passed, either.  And given that ALA has to plan - what is it? -
eight years in advance, how do we know that at some time in the future
some other location might be in a state that passes singularly
unfortunate legislation? On the positive side, yes, we certainly do need
to have the courage of our convictions. ALA's SRRT (Social
Responsibilities Round Table) has put together a flier on how to make
your feelings known; call ALA and they'll get you a copy.

Mary L. Larsgaard
UC Santa Barbara

                Distributed: Thursday, December 17, 1992