Subject: Insect pins

Insect pins

From: Walter Henry <whenry>
Date: Friday, December 11, 1992
The following appeared on Museum-L and is reposted here without the
knowledge or consent of the author

  Date: Tue, 8 Dec 1992 08:35:00 EST
  From: David Bridge, MSC VAX System Manager <david [at] simsc__bitnet>
  Subject: Criteria for Insect Pins Study

  If this where television, this would be considered a "Public Service
  Announcement".  I attended the Entomological Collections Network,
  Annual Meeting this past weekend in Beltsville, MD, USA.  I
  thoroughly enjoyed the meeting.

  One of the speakers was Cathy Hawks of the National Institute for
  Conservation of Cultural Property.  Ms. Hawks distributed a 8-page
  form, "Criteria for Insect Pins" and lead a discussion on the same
  topic.

  The purpose of the form is to gather information on the requirements
  of the entomological community for insect pins, so that these can be
  given to a material sciences engineer to recommend improved insect
  pins.  The form has 12 sections:  color, shape, size, surface
  properties, strength/flexibility, temperature resistance, relative
  humidity resistance, light and UV radiation resistance, atmospheric
  pollutants, materials in direct contact, resistance to
  biodeteriogens, and other.

  The "Criteria for Insect Pins" form does *NOT* lend it self to
  distribution via E-mail.  If you are interested in participating in
  this study, please request a copy of the form from:  (tell them you
  heard about it on MUSEUM-L)

      Cathy Hawks  or  Kate Bussey
      National Institute for Conservation of Cultural Property
      3299 K Street, NW, Suite 403
      Washington, DC  20007   USA
      202-625-1495
      FAX:  202-625-1485
      no E-mail address

  As I said above this is a "Public Service Announcement".  If you are
  resident in the United States, please contact Cathy Hawks at the
  above address.  For residents *OUTSIDE* of the USA, send me an
  E-mail message with your mailing address, etc. and I will forward
  your request to Cathy Hawks at NICCP.

  yours,
  David Bridge
  Museum Support Center
  Smithsonian Institution
  David [at] simsc__si__edu
  or BITNET:  David@simsc

                Distributed: Saturday, December 12, 1992