Subject: Tyvek

Tyvek

From: Wendy Wasman <aa569>
Date: Thursday, December 10, 1992
Our museum's curator of cultural anthropology uses Tyvek on her open
shelving units to protect artifacts from overhead sprinklers (fire
suppression system).  I have the same situation in the storage area
where the rare book collection is housed -- sprinklers over the compact
storage units.  Has anyone heard of using Tyvek to protect rare books
from a possible accidental water leak or sprinkler release?  Does Tyvek
release any damaging odors, gasses, etc. that would be harmful for the
rare books?  Is it in our best interest to have some sort of protection
for these books in case the sprinklers go off accidentally, leak, etc.?
If so, any suggestions?  Thank you.

Wendy Wasman
Librarian
Cleveland Museum of Natural History

                Distributed: Saturday, December 12, 1992