Subject: Lamination

Lamination

From: Dean DeBolt <ddebolt>
Date: Thursday, December 10, 1992
I tell the local "well-intentioned" ladies that lamination merely seals
in the destructive acid and chemicals in the paper.  For examples, I
point out that food, left in air-tight containers in the refrigerator,
soon begins to mold and spoil, even though it is "sealed."   Lamination
does the same thing to moisture and chemicals in the paper fibers.
Sure, it may look good now--nice and shiny--but the members may not be
able to read it in thirty years.  (Those comments seem to work the
job, especially if I can show them and nice framed (and shiny) example
encapsulated in Mylar-D.)

Dean DeBolt, University of West Florida

                Distributed: Saturday, December 12, 1992