Subject: CFC's and Wei To

CFC's and Wei To

From: Hilary A. Kaplan <bm.gsk>
Date: Friday, December 4, 1992
I would like to know where Richard Smith gets his statistics.  Speaking
as a member of the "10%" of the Archives community that does not use his
product, I am a bit uncomfortable making exceptions for "our
heritage/history" at the expense of the environment.  I am not convinced
that 90% of the communities mentioned should be using Wei T'o to begin
with.  Having confiscated bottles and cans of Wei T'o from
well-intentioned but ill-informed archivists and librarians, I sometimes
wonder if many individuals using these products are doing more harm than
good to our heritage/history.  Why should Richard's plea be going out to
libraries and not the conservation community?  Is there less support
from conservators recognizing that there are practical non-intrusive
alternatives to using Wei T'o?

Hilary Kaplan
Georgia Department of Archives and History

                 Distributed: Sunday, December 6, 1992