Subject: Risks of treatment

Risks of treatment

From: Peter Graham <graham>
Date: Wednesday, December 2, 1992
The recent CFC issue with respect to Wei-To has prompted Mr. Smith, its
sole manufacturer, to ask librarians to lobby in favor of an exception
for Wei-To.  I seem to recall a few years ago that one of Mr. Smith's
arguing points in favor of his product over DEZ was the potentially
inflammatory nature of DEZ (a potential which has become actual from
time to time).  I'd be interested in hearing from people more
knowledgeable than me about the relative balance of dangers here, and
the appropriateness of our using dangerous materials and of requesting
exceptions to legislation or regulation. Life is full of tradeoffs and
these may be ones we have to make; I'd like some good professional
opinions.

--pg

                Distributed: Wednesday, December 2, 1992