Subject: Containers for cellulosics

Containers for cellulosics

From: Lisa Mibach <perygrine>
Date: Tuesday, December 1, 1992
>1. Should cellulosic objects be stored in buffered board boxes?

Don't see why not, but I'll be interested to see the answers from chemists.

>2. If proteinaceous objects are stored in lignin-free, acid-free
>   boxes can the drawer or whole cabinet be buffered with buffered
>   board liners or some other easy method.>>

Do you mean humidity buffered or acid buffered? is this board liners outside
of complete boxes? or instead of?

Well, any organic storage materials (acid-free, of course) help to
buffer the humidity.  Not sure you want to add alkalinity to
proteinaceous materials, though.  The main problem seems to me to be
what finish you have on your Interior Steel cabinets.  If this is a
powder coat similar to that of Delta Design (polyester: epoxy hybrid
powder coat; tested by CCI), then you probably can get by with acid-free
mat board for direct contact.  If however, you have baked enamel, check
to find out what the paint actually is: it is likely to be an alkyd
paint, which outgasses volatile organic acid vapours (indefinitely).  In
this case you should enclose the objects completely in boxes.

I look forward to hearing expert opinions on the vapour-phase transfer
potential of alkaline particulates liberated from pH-buffered boards.
Same problem applies storing wool coverlets on buffered textile tubes,
which I am not sure is a good idea.

                Distributed: Wednesday, December 2, 1992