Subject: Elvace

Elvace

From: Elizabeth C. Welsh <aaphw>
Date: Wednesday, December 2, 1992
I reached Dick Boyd at Swift about 5 minutes ago, and he says that they
do *not* carry Elvace 40704. He also says that Reichold does not carry
or make it any longer either.

Swift is a "formulator", Reichold is a "polymerizer". Reichold supplies
polymers to Swift, and Swift makes them up for certain purposes. "We do
not carry Reichold products" was the way Boyd put it.

Dick Boyd says that they (Swift) are currently recommending Swift
Adhesive 45675CX as a substitute for Elvace 40704. They have been
working with conservators for about 2 years now, providing it and
recommending that conservators test it for suitability for our (i.e.,
your) needs. It is a "VAE"-- vinyl acetate ethylene, says Boyd.

            **** Moderator's comments:   One assumes he means EVA,
            Ethylene Vinyl Acetate, which is what Elvace is.

Liz Welsh

                Distributed: Wednesday, December 2, 1992