Subject: Styrofoam

Styrofoam

From: Janice Mohlhenrich <9495mohlhenr>
Date: Tuesday, November 24, 1992
I recently had a question from another librarian that I was unable to
answer, so I'm hoping for some help.  In an attempt to preserve paper
records that by necessity must be kept in a damp environment or are
likely to get wet, materials are being stored in styrofoam ice coolers.
Does anyone know if this is a potentially dangerous practice?  Are any
paper- damaging fumes or acids created by the degradation of styrofoam?
Will condensation inside the coolers create moisture problems?  Is
styrofoam acidic?  This storage system seems like a bad idea to me, but
I have no factual basis for my feeling.  Thanks for any help you can
offer.

Janice Mohlhenrich
Preservation Librarian
Marquette University

                Distributed: Thursday, November 26, 1992