Subject: Security strips

Security strips

From: Lorraine Olley <olley>
Date: Wednesday, November 4, 1992
At Indiana University Libraries, we currently insert 3M Tattletapes in
each volume added to the collection.  Since purchasing Tattletapes takes
a significant amount out of our already pinched supply budget, we are
thinking about applying Tattletapes randomly, e.g., taping every fifth
item.  My own (unsubstantiated) opinion on this is that a security
system functions primarily as a visible deterrent to theft, rather than
an actual thief-catching device.

I would appreciate it if those of you who have electronic security
systems (Tattletape, Checkpoint, or other) would take the time to answer
these questions:

  1.  Do you place security tags in all materials, or do you apply them
  selectively?

  2.  If you apply them selectively, how do you make the
  selection -- randomly, or designating certain types of materials,
  subject classifications, locations?

  3.  Have you ever studied the impact of electronic security systems on
  the rate of theft in your library, or do you know of any library that
  has performed such a study?

  4.  In the absence of a formal study, is it your impression that
  selective application of security tags would *significantly* decrease
  the effectiveness of an electronic security system?

Please respond directly to me and, if there is interest, I will summarize

Lorraine Olley
Preservation Dept.
Indiana University Libraries

                 Distributed: Sunday, November 8, 1992