Subject: Ozone

Ozone

From: Sue Davis <davissw>
Date: Friday, October 30, 1992
I recently made contact with a local building dehumidification company
and was told that they use ozone as a germicide/disinfectant/odor
remover on paper documents and would suggest treating moldy books with
it.  My contact also cited the fact that after treatment there is no
chemical residue because of ozone's molecular instability.  I have heard
that ozone is bad for books *because* of its instability, i.e.,
photocopiers produce ozone.  Could someone please explain or point me to
bibliographic sources?  Thanks,

    **** Moderator's comments: see Cass, et al. Protection of Works
    of Art from Atmospheric Ozone. Research in Conservation Number 5,
    1989.  The Getty Conservation Institute].  There has been some
    discussion concerning ozone in the DistList, check especially
    YEAR4-2.DST

Sue Davis
Preservation Librarian
Vanderbilt University