Subject: Bookbinding and tight budgets

Bookbinding and tight budgets

From: Debra Mckern <mckern>
Date: Tuesday, October 27, 1992
Switzerland: I wonder if your budget problems are not due to the
disproportionate expense for library binding common in Europe. This is
something the Bibliotheque de France is hoping to addressing an
international conference to be held in Paris in October 1993. It is not
unusual to be paying $35 per volume for a library binding in Europe that
would cost $5-10 in the States. Jean-Paul Oddos, Project Manager for
Conservation, is organizing this conference in hopes that the binding
industry in Europe might be encouraged to implement more automated, yet
conservationally sound, processes. He can be reached at:

    Library Science Department
    Bibliotheque de France
    1,place Valhubert
    75013 Paris
    France
    Phone: 4406 0121.

There are also other countries, such  as Sweden, who  are working
on  developing library  binding  standards  similar  to  the  LBI
Standard. Let  me know  if  you would like further information on
these efforts.

Debra McKern
Binding Office
Library of Congress