Subject: Bookbinding and tight budgets

Bookbinding and tight budgets

From: Josee Antille <jantille>
Date: Tuesday, October 20, 1992
We are a State and University library concerned with library credit
restrictions. I am Head of the binding department and presently trying
to establish criteria for bookbinding.  Would anyone give me information
about this topic, and in particular :

    1. Do you send all new acquisitions to the bindings (periodicals and
    monographs)

    2. Do you bind only damaged books, or as well new acquisitions, and
    in which proportions?

    3. Which part of the acquisition budget of your library is devoted
    to binding?

    - is the percentage sufficient?
    - which percentage would you like to have?

    4. If the binding budget is to short, what are the volumes that you
    would bind in priority ? On which criterion ? (for instance number
    of copies, condition of the paper, use life, literary classical
    texts, reference books, etc.)

    5. What do you do with the damaged books that you cannot repair and
    bind ? Do you throw them away? If so, do you make a copy ?
    (photocopy, microfilm, CD-Rom)? Do you store them in closed stocks?
    Other solutions?

    6. In case of a lack of credits, who decides which books are to be
    bound in priority : a special librarian, the Head of the binding
    department, other?

    7. Within the total amount of binding which is the part of the
    periodicals, which is the part of the monographs?

Thank you for forwarding me any useful information.

J. Antille, Librarian
Bibliotheque cantonale et universitaire
CH - 1015 Lausanne-Dorigny
Switzerland