Subject: Archival board

Archival board

From: Jack C. Thompson <76520.3531>
Date: Monday, October 19, 1992
Angela's posting re: archival board, did not indicate whether or not the
board offered for sale was from previously unopened packages.  Although
Iowa, in general, is not as polluted as, for instance, Los Angeles,
there are environmental pollutants everywhere, and buffered stock is a
reactive attractor for acidic pollutants.  The price is certainly right,
but what is the residual buffer/current pH?  To put the question in
perspective, I recommend that clients who take their art on paper from
the lab to a local framer for buffered matting, have the piece opened up
and examined within 6-10 years (depending on where they live in town);
if they are from the high desert country of eastern Oregon, I suggest an
examination between 10-20 years.

Jack Thompson

                Distributed: Thursday, October 22, 1992