Subject: Time capsules

Time capsules

From: Todd Ellison <ellison_t%flc>
Date: Tuesday, October 13, 1992
A local church is seeking advice on placing items (books, newspapers,
color photos, etc.) into their cornerstone for a second hundred years.
The items, including newspapers, placed there in 1890 and removed two
years ago are in quite good condition, except for having been torn some
in unsoldering the metal box.  What preservation considerations should
one be mindful of?  I've advised the use of buffered tissue, folders,
and box for everything except the color photos but what else should they
do? The cornerstone is sandstone, and doesn't receive much direct
sunlight, so it seems that the temperature won't fluctuate much in
there.  But what about the lack of moisture? Doesn't paper need a source
of air and moisture for its fiber-strength?

The time capsule is to be ready for placement by the first of November.

    **** Moderator's comments:   This is something of a FAQ (Frequently
    Asked Question) and has been dealt with in the DistList before.
    Please take a look through the FileList.  I can also provide some
    notes on the subject if you drop me a message at
    <whenry [at] lindy__stanford__edu>

Todd Ellison,
Archivist/Asst.Prof.
Fort Lewis College