Subject: Microfilm samples needed

Microfilm samples needed

From: James M. Reilly <jmrpph>
Date: Friday, October 9, 1992
I would like to ask the DistList participants for help in finding some
deteriorated and undeteriorated microfilm samples for our NEH-funded
research project on polysulfide treatment of existing microfilm
collections. We are examining the issues of how older microfilm, with
and without such forms of deterioration as red spots, poor processing,
or age-weakened gelatin, will respond to polysulfide treatment. Many
collections would like to explore polysulfide technology as a way to
stabilize collections which are beginning to have deterioration
problems.

Specifically we need samples of film with redox blemishes so we can
investigate what happens to the printability of red spot areas upon
treatment. We also need some "control" older films that appear in good
condition. Any amount of film would be helpful. It will be destroyed in
the course of the research. People who may have film can contact me by
E-mail (JMRPPH [at] RITVAX__BITNET or JMRPPH [at] RITVAX__ISC__RIT__EDU) or by phone
(716 475-5199), or just ship some film to:

    James M. Reilly
    Image Permanence Institute
    Rochester Institute of Technology
    335 John St.