Subject: New book for Internet amateurs

New book for Internet amateurs

From: Elizabeth C. Welsh <aaphw>
Date: Wednesday, September 23, 1992
"Once you're connected to the Internet," writes author Ed Krol, "you
have instant access to an almost indescribable wealth of information."

Krol's new book (title below) is for people with basic computer literacy
who want learn how to use the Net as a tool, not become network
professionals.  He imagined the typical audience for the book to be a
graduate student in a non-technical discipline who wants to use the
Internet for research; seeking information from both people and
computers.  He lists the basic subject matter of the book as:

  How to log on to other computers on the Internet (telnet).
  How to move files from one computer to another (ftp).
  How to send electronic mail.
  How to read and participate in group discussions.
  How to find where various network resources--from people to
       software to databases--can be found ("white pages," archie,
       gopher, WAIS, World-Wide Web).

The Whole Internet User's Guide and Catalog has come out just this week;
I received my back-ordered copy yesterday and wanted to publicize it on
the DistList before Walter's vacation even though I haven't read it all
yet.  Furthermore, I'm not experienced enough to critique it.  STILL--I
recommend it for the scope of its coverage and the level at which it is
written.  If, like me, you recently got onto the Net through Walter's
persuasion, you'll also save him a lot of trouble by using this book to
answer the hundreds of questions you have.

The Whole Internet User's Guide & Catalog,    by Ed Krol
O'Reilly & Associates, Inc., 103 Morris Street-Suite A,
     Sebastopol, CA 95472.  1992.  376 pages.  paperbound.
     ISBN 1-56592-025-2.  $24.95.  orders: 800/338-6887.

    **** Moderator's comments:   I've been hearing very good things
    about this book.  Even people who have been around a while might
    want to check out the sections on new stuff such as WAIS, gopher,
    etc.

--Liz Welsh

               Distributed: Thursday, September 24, 1992