Subject: HVAC and Air filtering systems

HVAC and Air filtering systems

From: Everett C. Wilkie Jr. <everett>
Date: Monday, September 14, 1992
We are planning to extensively renovate/reconstruct our library/museum
beginning in spring, 1994.  We are currently reviewing specs for the new
HVAC and air filtration systems.  Since it has been any number of years
since I have dealt with these systems, I was hoping that someone more au
courant could give me some help.

First, the specs call for humidification to be provided by steam--
"proportional steam humidifiers," as the documents term them.  They will
be associated with the air handling units.  As I recall, any number of
years ago this technology was considered highly dangerous and unreliable
because of the possibility that large amounts of steam would be released
into the air stream, with subsequent water damage to the collections
areas.  Is this still true or has technology advanced to the point that
this is no longer a concern.  There will be automatic monitoring
equipment that supposedly will shut down the air handlers in case of a
sudden rise in humidity.

Second, the specs also call for electrostatic precipitators to clean the
air of particulate matter.  Again, I was instructed that this technology
produces as a by-product ozone, which eats book bindings.  Again, has
this technology advanced to the point that ozone or other harmful
substances are no longer an issue?

Thanks for any insights on this.  You may feel free to reply to me
personally at everett [at] chs__org.

Everett C. Wilkie, Jr.
Head Librarian
Connecticut Historical Society