Subject: Acidity survey

Acidity survey

From: Harald Berndt <73677.1631>
Date: Tuesday, August 25, 1992
I write this note in the hope of using the Conservation DistList to
collect some information from paper (and other) conservators. At the
U.C. Forest Products Lab, I am currently working on an alternative
method for determining the acidity of carbohydrates.  I am cooperating on
this with a conservation intern.  In the course of this cooperation, the
question of how "acidity" is used in conservation practice came up.

I would like to ask any interested participant in the Cons DistList to
sent me some information regarding the following questions:

    Do you measure acidity, and if yes, how?

    How do acidity measurements affect your treatment (or other) decisions?

Thank you all, in advance, for your help.

        **** Moderator's comments: The answers to these questions should
        be of some interest to DistList participants, so please feel
        free to send your responses to the list, but be sure to cc:
        Harald, as I won't forward them.

Harald

                 Distributed: Saturday, August 29, 1992