Subject: Illumination device

Illumination device

From: Dean DeBolt <ddebolt>
Date: Monday, August 24, 1992
While wandering through Wal-Mart during my daughter's school supplies
expedition, I stumbled across a new item in the hardware department.
They are small flashlight/glasses that position a small flashlight on
either side of your head (I'm *not* kidding -- shades of Ghostbusters)
and provide illumination where you need your hands.  Cost is a modest
$9.95. I showed them to our campus archaeologist who found them VERY
interesting given some of the "dark" excavations they've done.  It
dawned on me that they could be very helpful in preservation work.  I've
done some intricate balancings of light, magnifying glasses, tweezers,
etc. at times, too.  They are probably good for inspection tours, when I
look inside bindings or check shelving cracks where the light does not
reach.

Dean DeBolt
Special Collections

                 Distributed: Saturday, August 29, 1992