Subject: Security strips

Security strips

From: Jan Merrill-Oldham <hbladm18>
Date: Tuesday, July 21, 1992
Responding to your concerns about security stripping, I think you may
have an unsolvable problem on your hands.  The alternatives: oversew (a
disservice to patrons), mill away enough margin to eliminate the strips
(an obvious problem), or deal with security after binding.  We actually
do the latter.  We house unbound issues in a Current Periodicals Room
(soon to be a combined CPR/Reserve Room).  We bind as *soon* as
possible, and apply Checkpoint labels after binding.  We seem to have
very few thefts.

                 Distributed: Saturday, August 15, 1992