Subject: Security strips

Security strips

From: Patricia Palmer <pepalmer>
Date: Monday, July 20, 1992
I read your message on the Conservation DistList regarding security
strips inhibiting the double-fan adhesive binding process.  Our binder,
American Bindery-East (formerly, Dobbs Brothers), does not have a
problem with this as their grinding machinery seems to be able to handle
it.  We also strip our current periodicals individually and then rebind,
usually double-fan adhesive and notching for coated papers.  American
Bindery has a machinery expert who adapts their machines and develops
new ones for greater effectiveness and efficiency.  This may be the
reason we don't have a problem with it but I can't tell you what has
been done on the part of the binder.  It does seem to me that the binder
is the one to talk to about this problem, not 3M.

A thought occurred to me just now:  perhaps serials staff -- or whoever
does the stripping in individual volumes -- could adjust their habit and
place the strip farther in so as to not affect your binder's grinder.
This would make them more obvious to nefarious characters who would take
them out with intent to steal the issue, however.

Serials staff strips our issues as close to the fold as possible.

I hope you get this issue resolved satisfactorily.

Patricia Palmer
Head, Preservation Services
Virginia Commonwealth University
Richmond, VA