Subject: Security strips

Security strips

From: Pete Jermann <pjermann>
Date: Friday, July 17, 1992
Concerning your inquiry on the Conservation Distlist:  All of our
periodicals are tattle taped individually.  They are also adhesive bound
(double fan glued) either in-house or by our commercial binder. The
problem presented by the tattle tape when fan gluing is minor.  When
gluing, the pages that are held together by the tape tend not to fan as
well as other pages.  This causes a separation in the fanned spine where
it is possible to get a little too much glue.  However, since the tattle
tape effectively glues the adjacent pages together much deeper than fan
gluing process does, even a little too much glue on either side of the
taped pages is of little consequence.  My experience is that the problem
is annoying but not critical.  Our commercial binder has never
registered any complaint or comment on the matter at all.  I would
suggest inquiring at other binderies to see if the tattle tapes are
really a problem.

Pete Jermann                |          St. Bonaventure University
Preservation Officer        |          St. Bonaventure, NY 14778
Friedsam Memorial Library   |          (716) 375-2324

                 Distributed: Saturday, August 15, 1992