Subject: Contract microfilm preparation

Contract microfilm preparation

From: Erich Kesse <erikess>
Date: Monday, August 10, 1992
Paula:
  Contact also:

  Deb McKern ... now at library of Congress, Binding Office, re: Emory's
  experience with SOLINET PROJECT.

  Sandy Nyberg or Christie Craig at SOLINET (800-999-8558).

  UF experience with SOLINET project:

  Workflow:

    We identify brittle volumes within project parameters; conduct
    bibliographic searches (OCLC required, also RLIN, BOOKS IN PRINT
    (CD-ROM), and local NOTIS database); print-out local catalog record;
    loosen binding if necessary; ship volumes with packing list as you
    would to commercial microfilm service bureau.  (Only OCLC search is
    required; we search other sources to keep our return rate low and
    filming rate on project queue.) SOLINET conducts additional
    bibliographic searches as necessary (some projects require NRMM,
    NYPL fiche, RLIN, etc.); enter record in tracking/target generation
    system (similar to systems you may have seen at Florida, Harvard and
    Stanford); collate; generate targets; reel program; ship to
    commercial microfilm service bureau; and "prospective" CATALOG (I
    believe SOLINET may also queue the item in RLIN if able ... I'm not
    certain.) SOLINET also maintains contracts and post filming quality
    control for this project.

  Cost effectiveness:

    Savings primarily in management of workforce and budget.  Work which
    continues to be done in house is equal to cost share in an RLG or
    in-house project.

    Savings are also substantial in cataloging.  (With SOLINET,
    prospective cataloging takes the place of queuing.  UF continues to
    queue in RLIN because of time lag from identification to prospective
    cataloging/queuing at SOLINET.)

Erich J. Kesse
Preservation Office
University of Florida Libraries