Subject: Rounding and Backing

Rounding and Backing

From: Eleanor Cook <cookei>
Date: Monday, July 13, 1992
I would like to know if there has been any discussion of the pros and
cons of rounding/backing vs. wide-flex hinge binding. I have only been
on this list for a month or so. I am not sure how to access the
archives.

I would like to hear from the experts on the topic. We are looking at
reviewing our binding companies on our state contract. One company
offers the former method while the other offers the latter. What do
people in the preservation/conservation field think?

Materials in question are books and periodicals in a medium-sized,
comprehensive university. We are talking standard works, not rare books.
Use is heavy and mostly by undergraduates.

    **** Moderator's comments: I pointed Eleanore to past discussion in
    the DistList.  She responded with a renewed plea as follows.

I got what I wanted from the archives, and I'm still on the horns of a
dilemma: flex-hinge/flat-back, or traditional rounding & backing? I
wouldn't say either/or, but unfortunately my two choices on our state
binding contract are radically different. This requires me to think long
and hard. Tonight is not the time to do that: I will take what I've
gleaned from this list and will then follow up by querying the experts
and also various libraries in my state who have either type of binding
and/or express a preference. Also will check the roster from this list
and query the names in the field. I managed to run into some of
recognized experts in preservation at ALA in SF, so that was some help,
but I need to be more consistent and methodological in my quest for the
"truth."

You have my permission to post this and my earlier message together if
you wish, because there may be other people who have since joined this
list who might have a renewed interest in this topic. Thanks so much!

Eleanor Cook
Serials Librarian
Belk Library
Appalachian State University