Subject: Microfilming incomplete serial runs

Microfilming incomplete serial runs

From: Robert L. DeCandido <bronxbob>
Date: Tuesday, August 4, 1992
NYPL has, for a long time, been microfilming serial titles on poor paper
(i.e., newsprint) in lieu of binding them.  Decisions are made on each
title and they are filmed at convenient intervals.  A recent survey
indicates that we film a little under 1000 title under this program.  We
have recently articulated a policy that we will, in the future, film
these titles with gaps only after a reasonable effort has been made to
replace missing issues through interlibrary loan after exhausting normal
acquisition options.  There are two points I would like some comment on.

1.  In the *RLG Preservation Microfilming Handbook* RLG defines a
"reasonable effort" to fill gaps as being, "at least six RLIN and/or
OCLC locations through inter-library loan queries before an item is
filmed lacking one or more pages." Putting aside the question of other
sources outside RLIN/OCLC, it strikes me that six is a very large
number.  Part of the problem is that the Handbook is obviously referring
to monographs with missing pages.  Not filming a monograph with missing
pages seems more reasonable than not filming an entire run of a serial
because of a missing issue.  Finally, shouldn't a reasonable effort be
defined by the maximum rather than the minimum required? Wouldn't it be
more helpful and meaningful to know how far one needed to go before one
gave up?

2.  Does anyone have a program for filling gaps in serials that is
working? For that matter is there a systematic program for filling gaps
of any kind? RLG does, apparently, have procedures for photocopies of
pages but does anyone systematically avail themselves of this service
for microfilming? If you borrow originals, how do you get around the 4
week limit on loans since that would not normally be enough time to
cover microfilming?

Any information about procedures for filling gaps would be appreciated.

Robert DeCandido

                 Distributed: Saturday, August 8, 1992