Subject: Internship

Internship

From: Elizabeth N. Steinhagen <steinhagen>
Date: Wednesday, July 29, 1992
I have a good friend/colleague in Chile who would be very interested in
applying for an internship in conservation somewhere in the US.  She is
the librarian of the Museo Regional de la Araucania, located in Temuco,
southern Chile, a special library collecting and preserving documents
having to do with the Araucano (or Mapuche) Indians of southern Chile.
She recently wrote and asked me to find out details on how to go about
applying, what requirements are needed, and, basically, which
institutions to contact.  Also, of course, what financial assistance
might be available. (Here, I would suggest applying for a Fulbright)  In
addition to her Chilean library degree, she has had coursework in
archives (1981-82), and a short course on preventive conservation for
museums in 1989.  Since she is working in southern Chile, paper
preservation is her main interest in view of the humid climate of that
region.  My impression of her as a librarian (I had her in a course I
gave on information processing and retrieval) is that she is VERY active
and very interested in providing access to the materials in her library
and has been working on special controlled vocabularies in her area for
a while,  The remoteness of her library from the museums and archives in
Santiago makes this especially important and I would appreciate any/all
information or hints you could give me in this area.  Thank you in
advance

Elizabeth N. Steinhagen
Humboldt State University Library
(707) 826-3412