Subject: Doll restoration

Doll restoration

From: Cathy Atwood <cb522>
Date: Saturday, July 25, 1992
My favorite conservation story for the summer comes from a visit to a
local doll store to have a 55 year old doll re-strung. Patty's glass
eyes are crazed, and her paint over wood body is cracked.  The doll shop
said I should put mineral oil in the eyes and use Pond's cold cream on
her skin!  The store owner was insulted when I declined her offer of
supplies to do the restoration.  No wonder tape, and ironing folded
paper, is still ubiquitous.

Cathy Atwood

                   Distributed: Sunday, July 26, 1992