Subject: Vandalized rock art restoration

Vandalized rock art restoration

From: Elizabeth C. Welsh <aaphw>
Date: Friday, July 17, 1992
(J. Claire Dean asked WAAC Newsletter to publish this request for
information, and I am posting it in the DistList on her behalf.--ECW)

Vandalism of rock art sites is a widespread and disturbing problem. The
types of damage sustained by these sites includes spray-painted
graffiti, scratched initials, incised additions to ancient motifs, and
bullet holes.

Removing or repairing the damage from vandalism is problematic. Agencies
responsible for the care of cultural property have resorted to a myriad
of methods with--predictably--mixed results. Some treatments have been
recommended by conservators; however, the majority currently in use can
be best described as home remedies.

Having been asked increasingly over recent months to assess vandal
damage to rock art and to propose treatments, I have come across the
results of various kinds of attempts to undo damage and make repairs.

In an effort both to assist agencies responsible for the care of rock
art sites and to improve conservation awareness among those who maintain
rock art sites, I am hoping to review as many of the applied methods as
possible and publish the results. In order to accomplish this, I have
drawn up a short questionnaire designed to gather the necessary
information which is gradually being sent out to persons responsible for
the maintenance of rock art sites.

I would be grateful for any information regarding this topic (both
appropriate and inappropriate methods), and for the names and addresses
of organizations known to have tackled such problems who would be
willing to complete a questionnaire.

J. Claire Dean
Archaeological Field Conservator
University of North Dakota