Subject: Security tapes

Security tapes

From: Sara R. Williams <williams_s>
Date: Monday, July 13, 1992
Has anyone had trouble binding periodicals with 3M Tattle Tape in place?
We routinely insert 3M Tattle Tape into unbound periodical issues as
they are received.  Our binder has no problem with leaving the Tattle
Tape in place if the issues are either oversewn or sewn through the
fold.  The effectiveness of the tape is destroyed, of course, but since
bound volumes have fresh Tattle Tape inserted in the case spine, that is
not a problem.  Problems have been encountered, however, when trying to
adhesive bind volumes with the Tattle Tape in place, since it makes it
difficult to apply the adhesive correctly.  Removing the tape by hand
usually damages the paper and would require an appalling amount of staff
time.

I spoke to the 3M reps at ALA last month, and they said they would have
one of their technical people get back to me about this.  In the
meantime, I would appreciate any advice anyone has to offer--I can't
believe we are the only library with this problem.  The one thing we
can't do is stop inserting Tattle Tape in unbound periodicals (for
reasons I don't think I have to spell out for anyone).

Sara Williams University of Colorado-Boulder

                   Distributed: Friday, July 17, 1992