Subject: Book ends

Book ends

From: Beverly Allen <libbdb>
Date: Tuesday, July 7, 1992
What is the best kind of book end to use for rare book stacks?  We
inherited the traditional hanging metal book ends used in general stack
areas, but they are less than satisfactory for our materials.  Is there
anything commercially available which is suitable?  I've seen the
plastic kind of book end which slides along the bottom of the shelf, but
the edges seem to be too rigid, possibly damaging to the materials.
I've heard that some rare book collections make book ends out of bricks
covered with cloth? Is there anywhere you can buy such a thing?  We
really don't have the staff to make hundreds and hundreds of them.  Any
ideas?  Thanks!

Beverly Allen
Emory University

                   Distributed: Sunday, July 12, 1992