Subject: Recovering faded handwriting

Recovering faded handwriting

From: Ed Southern <southernge>
Date: Tuesday, July 7, 1992
I describe below a problem which I posted earlier to the
Archives Listserv:

A patron from the town of Boone has come to me with a problem involving
old family records --specifically, entries in a family Bible on the
"births-deaths" pages. These entries have now faded beyond visibility,
at least legibility. Can they be recovered? My patron says that the
usual photocopier cannot do it. He also says that he has heard of a
laser-based process which might do the trick.

I confess ignorance here. Can anyone help me? Does someone have such a
technology? If so, who?

Thanks for any help.

Ed Southern
Director, Records Mgmt/University Archivist
Appalachian State University
Boone, NC

                   Distributed: Sunday, July 12, 1992