Subject: Deacidification tank

Deacidification tank

From: Walter Henry <whenry>
Date: Monday, June 29, 1992
The dip tray you are considering is interesting mostly for its form, not
its material.  The v-shape lets you use a very small amount of solution,
and is designed for you to pass the object through the solution quickly.
Since it lets you use less solution, it will probably pay for itself
quickly (even if you roll your own, the solution isn't cheap).  You can
use flat trays (I use Cesco-lite), but keeping the tray free of
precipitate can be difficult.  If you have rather small items to treat,
you can fabricate a disposable tray from polyester film.

The Neutralization and Alkalization section of the Paper Conservation
Catalog (compiled by DistList participant Randy Couch) doesn't deal with
trays (ie the Tray sub-heading is empty), but I can't think of any
reason why stainless steel trays would cause problems.  If you haven't
read the Catalog outline on the subject, I recommend it.

Hope this helps,

                   Distributed: Sunday, July 5, 1992