Subject: Ink

Ink

From: Walter Henry <whenry>
Date: Sunday, June 28, 1992
The following exchange took place on MEDTEXTL and is reproduced here
without the knowledge or consent of the authors.

  Date:         Fri, 5 Jun 1992 08:05:41 CST
  Sender: "Medieval Text - Philology, Codicology,
                and Technology etc." <MEDTEXTL [at] UIUCVMD__bitnet>
  From: James Marchand <marchand [at] UX1__CSO__UIUC__EDU>

  The subject of tintology is an interesting one, full of all kinds of
  pitfalls.  We are in a great position most of the time, since we have
  so many recipes for ink from the Middle Ages and earlier.  Two
  excellent guides to the subject are David Nunes Carvalho, Forty
  Centuries of Ink (1971), and Monique Zerdoun Bat-Yehouda, Les encres
  noires au moyen age. Editions du CNRS (Paris, 1983; ISBN
  2-222-02972-4).  The latter book has a good bib, which unfortunately
  does not include Carvalho.  We can now study the composition of the
  inks without invasion, though the amount of ink needed for a burn to
  do spectroscopy is quite small.  Paper chromatography and such
  techniques put us in the position of doing good ink work; it's just
  tedious and requires, as Robert points out, a lot of equipment.  I
  once made a proposal to the NEH for a grant to do all the OHG
  manuscripts, but I guess the logistics got them.

  Jim Marchand