Subject: Lab design

Lab design

From: James W. Mason <masonjw>
Date: Thursday, June 18, 1992
Kansas State University recently received the ok and, more importantly,
the funds to build an addition to and renovate the library.  I'll not be
able to attend the American Library Assoc. preconference in San
Francisco on buildings and preservation, so any information from
attendees and hosts would be very much appreciated.

Because we'll be reallocating space, I may have a chance of getting a
quality, well planned room for book repair and minimal, basic
conservation work.  I'm familiar with what has been printed in the book
repair guides, Conservation Administration News, and Abbey Newsletter,
and we already have a basic program going mostly from my experience as a
former bindery employee and Carolyn Morrow's book.  Further advice from
people on building a library materials repair room is welcome.

Thirdly, reports on the San Francisco program on cooperative
preservation are also welcome.  Kansas has received an NEH grant for a
state-wide study.

I know it sounds like I won't be attending ALA Annual Conference, but
I'll be there.  Looking forward to the meetings as well as time-off in
the Castro and South of Market districts.

Jim

                  Distributed: Saturday, June 20, 1992