Subject: Standard vocabulary for condition of photographs

Standard vocabulary for condition of photographs

From: Richard Pearce-Moses <iacrpm>
Date: Friday, June 5, 1992
Beth Delaney has asked me if I'm aware of an authority list of headings
to be used in descriptions of photographic materials that characterize
the various preservation problems/conditions. I noted to her that to be
useful to a conservator, those conditions would almost certainly have to
be qualified as to the extent, either through adjectives or a numeric
scale--with each carefully defined (Extremely faded, brittle 3).

She was able to locate a number of lists used locally by various
institutions, but no one she contacted was aware of a national standard.

If anyone is aware of such a list (under development or extant), please
contact me.

Richard Pearce-Moses, Curator of Photographs
Arizona State University, Tempe, Arizona 85287-1006
(602) 965-9276

                   Distributed: Monday, June 8, 1992