Subject: Manuscripts

Manuscripts

From: Walter Henry <whenry>
Date: Friday, June 5, 1992
The following exchange took place recently in MEDTEXTL and is reproduced
here without the knowledge or consent of the authors.

  Date:         Sun, 17 May 1992 20:52:34 CST
  Sender:       "Medieval Text - Philology, Codicology,
                and Technology etc." <MEDTEXTL [at] UIUCVMD__BITNET>
  From:         James Marchand <marchand [at] UX1__CSO__UIUC__EDU>
  Subject:      Invasive techniques

  We discussed at length once before the use of invasive techniques in
  deciphering manuscripts.  I picked up a book at K'zoo based mostly on
  the title and one of the articles:  Dechiffrer les ecritures effacees,
  ed. Lucie Fossier et Jean Irigoin.  Editions du Centre National de la
  Recherche Scientifique.  Paris, 1990.  When I mention that there are
  still people out there who are spilling chemicals on manuscripts, I am
  usually greeted with disbelief.  I just mention one of the articles:
  "La revelation chimique des encre palies," by Francoise Flieder.  I
  recently received a request by Octavio Paz for help in deciphering a
  faded manuscript by a deceased Mexican poet.  The manuscript had been
  carried around in his pocket, was written in pencil, and had been
  faded out; a perfect candidate for mono- chromatic light, say, UV or
  infra-red or both, and enhancement.  Alas, it had already been treated
  with chemicals.  Many of our Gothic manuscripts, struck by "die
  wildangewandte Gallapfeltinktur Angelo Mais", are illegible forever,
  as is for the most part the Auxentius manuscript.  We ought to put a
  stop to the use of invasive techniques and intrusive measures in
  dealing with manuscripts, and this includes using the wrong kind of
  ultra- violet lights. Jim Marchand