Subject: Exhibit cases

Exhibit cases

From: Paul Romaine <70541.3427>
Date: Sunday, May 31, 1992
An article just appearing in the Rosenbach Library & Museum Newsletter
(May 1992), discusses its new exhibit cases.  For anyone who has been
there, the Rosenbach has a variety of cases, ranging from old-fashioned
wooden monsters to the sort one sees in stamp shows.  I quote from the
article without permission (inaccuracies are entirely my own):

    "Rosenbach looked at prefabricated cases, but all seemed too modern.
    Something was needed which would be state-of-the-art from a
    conservation standpoint, but which would fit sympathetically with
    the Rosenbach's antique furnishings.  [ . . .] [What follows are the
    people who specified and custom-built the cabinets in Philadelphia.]

    "The cases are constructed of mahogany, with a brass strip framing
    the top opening of the case.  The floor of the case is adjustable --
    it can be flat to give more depth when large folios or objects are
    displayed, and can be raised to bring material closer to the viewer
    when manuscripts or drawings are displayed.

    "The cases for the main exhibition room include fiber optic lighting
    designed by Optical Display Lighting, Inc. The adjustable light bar
    produces no heat and so does not affect the microclimate created
    within the case. The light is filtered to remove harmful
    ultraviolet.  The case also incorporates a drawer to be used to
    introduce additional humidity or desiccants, if needed."

I would guess that more information may be had from the Rosenbach
Library & Museum in Philadelphia: 2010 Delancey Place, Phila. PA 19103
(215-732-1600). The Rosenbach has Internet/Bitnet access through RLIN
although I don't have an email address.

Paul Romaine

                   Distributed: Friday, June 5, 1992