Subject: Compact shelving: Anecdotal Evidence

Compact shelving: Anecdotal Evidence

From: Erich Kesse <erikess>
Date: Monday, May 11, 1992
The University of Florida is temporarily housing some of its special
collections in compact storage.  Our experience is delimited by a
collection which had previously been infected by mold and cleaned.
Environmental conditions in the compact storage area are rather high
(re: temperature 68-75F and relative humidity @ 55-68%) but better than
the former location.  There is no more or less light in compact storage
than in the former location.  In addition, aisles are left open at night
on a rotating basis (the area is secure).

We have noticed that OUR collection had suffered mold infection in
compact storage.  Volumes formerly infected and cleaned were not
re-infected. Leather volumes were most highly infected. We also found,
as might be expected, that volumes boxed or otherwise enclosed before
removal to compact storage were not infected.

Erich J. Kesse
Preservation Office
University of Florida Libraries
904-392-6962