Subject: Terminology: lining

Terminology: lining

From: Colleen Heslip <bm.cxh>
Date: Thursday, May 7, 1992
Another query from the AAT conservation thesaurus
project:

We received a candidate term from a user at the Canadian Centre for
Architecture (Users of the AAT send in terms that we have not yet
included and they wish to have, as well as sending in comments on
existing terms either requesting a scope note or just telling us we got
it wrong.)

The Candidate term is for the term "laid down."  This was in reference
to a catalogue "Master Drawings from the National Gallery of Canada"
where a drawing was characterized as "...on blue paper, laid down on
card backing."

I have talked with various paper conservators who would call this
backing, lining, mounting, or allover mounting. (Ann Clapp, John Krill,
Cathy Baker, Doris Hamburg.

The AAT has already the term "lining" which seems to refer (as the scope
note now reads) to the lining of a painting or garment.  It would be
possible to rewrite the scope note to accommodate a more general
understanding e.g., "Use for attaching an auxiliary support to the
primary support to strengthen or support, (such as in the conservation
of paintings on fabric where a new support is applied to the reverse,
the conservation of paper where a ???, or in the making of a garment
where an inner layer of cloth is applied." or something to that effect.

Would that be correct or is "laid down" the correct form for lining when
what is being lined is paper.  Is mounting better?  The basic issue is
if the concepts are true synonyms.  It seems to me that the concepts are
the same and if the terms used to describe the concepts are the same we
can use one term for all.  If the concepts are the same but the terms
are different than we will use different terms and perhaps write
distinguishing scope notes to make clear the distinctions.

When I initially responded to CAA to use lining as the preferred term
they were not happy and do not want to use lining but prefer "laid
down."  I have not been able to find anyone who uses laid down, although
the difference may be that I have asked US conservators and perhaps in
Canada or UK "laid down is preferred."

Thank you for any ideas you have that would help resolve this question.

Colleen Heslip
AAT

                    Distributed: Friday, May 8, 1992